Saturday, July 01, 2006

Oh Canada


... Our home and native land...

The National Anthem resounds with seemingly ironic lyrics as most of us here are not native to this land. (in TO, at least!)

The CIC website acknowledges that "Canada is a land of many cultures and many peoples. Aboriginal peoples have occupied the territory now called Canada for several thousands of years. Everybody else, either by birth or by descent, has been an immigrant -- we have all come from somewhere else."

However, for the people who live here, it is the place that they call home. This is the place where they come to seek refuge from wars and oppression and hope to find a better life. In return, they contribute their skills and their unique cultures.

I didn't come here to escape hardship. I've always thought of my time here as temporary. I always felt that I was going back home soon. I've visited beautiful places and created wonderful memories during my time here. Most of all, I've enjoyed the multiculturism and the diversity which reminds me of my home country, but it doesn't compare. Canada is home to immigrants from 240 countries. Wow!

Whatever our reasons for living here, we're all joining Harper to say happy 139th birthday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home